We know you’re just itching to grab the handle of your new leather briefcase. But like everything in life, there’s a decision you must make: Go Real or Go Faux? Like any decision, there’s pros and cons to each. Here’s the word:
- Genuine leather has that rich, luxury feel. Each piece is unique and special.
- Real leather can last a lifetime, and its patina improves its look with age.
- Because of the material and labor involved, it can be a lot more pricey.
- Excessive sunlight can fade the color.
- Natural Leather is absorbent, so it may get stained. It also must be cleaned with a special leather cleaner.
- Synthetic leather is more widely available, so doesn’t have the price tag that genuine leather comes with.
- No animals are harmed in the making of faux leather, so many people will choose it for ethical reasons.
- If you don’t care for the natural scratches and marks of real leather, faux leather offers a sleek uniform grain.
- Faux leather is easy to work with, so it is available in a huge variety of colors.
- Faux leather is nearly as easy to clean as plastic.
- While the looks of real leather improve with time, faux leather only loses its luster and durability as it ages.
- Harsh chemicals are used in the making of both real and faux leather. However, real leather comes from a renewable source, so it is often looked at as more eco-friendly.
How do you identify whether a leather article is made of real or faux leather? Stay on the lookout for our next comprehensive guide, coming soon!